IF you own a property that is empty for long period of times then you will need unoccupied insurance to make sure your asset is protected against any sort of loss or claim.
For the sake of simplicity, an unoccupied property is one that is vacant for at least 30 days or more at a time. Anything less than 30-days vacancy and it will be covered by most standard home insurance policies so you will not need specialist help.
The only exception to this is if you are letting out your second or holiday home. In this case it may not be unoccupied but will have tenants in residence. In this case you will need landlords insurance or specific holiday home insurance that allows for periods of rental. This is a completely different risk and will include unoccupied insurance for periods of void occupancy.
So if you own a property that is empty for more than 30-days you will need specialist insurance. Simply go to The Property Insurer and click on the unoccupied insurance button. It will take you through to one of the UK’s leading experts and they will be able to give you a quote in minutes. It is that simple.
A few of things that you should note when getting the quote include:
- Make sure you know the rebuild value of the property
- Know the value of your contents and decide what you want – basic or new for old cover
- The security at your unoccupied property should be detailed. This includes alarms, locks and neighbourhood watch schemes – anything you can do to reduce the risk of theft or claims
- What excess do you want to pay for buildings and contents – stick to what is comfortable for you or toggle to reduce the price of the insurance policy as you see fit
- Don’t tell any lies when getting the insurance. If you need 60-days unoccupied cover then say so. If you need 180-days unoccupied then say so. Insurers have claims departments that will investigate any claim you make and if they find any irregularities they will refuse the claim and then you are in a world of hurt on any insurance you try and buy in the future
Take the advice and get yourself the right unoccupied insurance cover at the best price possible now thanks to The Property Insurer.
The Property Insurer